[ SHOWGSD-L ] Puppy Aptitude Test

  • From: Stephen Reierstad <wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l-Freelists <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:16:18 -0800 (PST)

Does anyone on the List use the Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test to
evaluate puppies before placing them?  We use it routinely with our
Companion Quality puppies to try to improve the odds of a good match.
 We have also used it with our Show Quality puppies to try to get yet
another indicator as to whether a puppy is a good Show prospect.

We give the test at 7 weeks, per the Monks of New Skete (The Art of
Raising A Puppy).  The test is given in a room where the puppies have
not been, done by a stranger to the puppies.  We do the test 2 hours
after they have last eaten and hopefully finished doing their
business.  We keep distractions such as TV, music, the other dogs'
barking, visits from friends, etc., to a minimum.  We have found in
about 40% of the tests, the results don't square with our
obwervations of the puppies' persosnalities, and don't seem to be a
reliable predictor of the puppies' future behaviour.  We don't use
this as the sole indicator of the puppies' temperaments, and we use
the "puppy notes" and other general observations, as well as our take
on the buyer, along with the VPAT  results when deciding on placing
(or not placing) a puppy with a prospective owner.

Have any of the Listers who use the VPAT noticed similar results
which don't seem to square with the actual temperament?
Also, we sometimes get reactions from the puppies which are not
covered in the scoring table shown in The Art of Raising a Puppy, and
we are unsure of how to classify these actions.  Has this happened to
others who use this Test?

TIA for any info.

Steve

=====