[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Puppies and Protein

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx, uwish@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:51:53 EDT

In a message dated 4/25/2006 9:21:37 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>*Are  you adding all that protein to the Puppy Gold, and vitamins too?  Wow,
 IMO you are overloading protein and supplements!!!  It was always my
practice to feed puppy food until 4 months, and then switch to an adult food
with a
medium protein content. This worked well for me for many years, and I  would
do it again if I were to breed another litter. I was always on the light  side
when it came to supplementing.  I guess I figured that the dog food
manufacturers  spent a lot of money developing the nutritional balance of
their
products, so probably knew better than I what was needed. I would  occasionally
add
some meat, cottage cheese or other goodies, but the basic  diet was left to
the dog food companies. Works for me..... Doris  E*

I agree Doris.  The Esibilac people have come up w/ a "2nd Step"  product.  I
use that as a weaning formula, easy, easy, easy, mixes w/ water  in a
blender, soup consistency, then cereal consistency and so forth.  They  really
seem
to like it:)  When they lap that up after a few days of all of  us making a big
'ol mess, lol, I start adding soaked puppy kibble to the  blender.  In a few
days I stop blending it, mash it w/ a potato masher or  fork, then I take away
the 2nd Step, then they are eating moistened kibble then  finally at about
5-6 weeks just dry.

I'm afraid of supplementing and adding all sorts of other stuff that throws
off protein/ calcium ratios and so forth, but that's just me.

I like getting them to the "just dry" stage here early because that way,
when they go to their new homes and the first few days without the "sport" of
eating w/ siblings or if they are "busy" in an interesting new environment, a
few tablespoons of canned meat can be added for an extra special treat and "wa
la!", super little eaters:)

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_