[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Protein %

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:32:17 -0800

Thanks everyone who answered me about my question about what % protein
should be used in a pregnant bitches meal.  Lots of different answers  which
leaves room for lots of trial and error.  LOL,  Barbara

Paul adds...

The bottom line is not the "quantity" of the protein...it's the "QUALITY" of
the protein.

AAFCO allows chicken by-product meal to be listed as Protein on a dog food
bag label. CBPM is beaks, feet, heads, and feathers not to exceed 10 %. It's
protein but is it quality protein? I think not. I won't even go into the
category of Animal Digest as it's well below the quality of CBPM and still
allowed to be listed as protein.

READ THE LABELS ON YOUR DOG FOOD BAGS FOLKS...

In the wild an omnivore dog (species) eats almost a 90 %to 95 % protein diet
with no adverse affects...quite to the contrary. The Alpha animals eat 1st
and the best. They eat gut and muscle with maybe a little bone.

Protein is a Trojan Horse used by companies to make you think their food is
better than others. Some foods with high (bad or mediocre) protein can and
do cause problems in puppies and adults.

AOE CH Magnolia, CH Honey, BOF Sunny, Cindy ROM, BIMr Mary, and Sachet ROM
eat a 90 % protein diet and we don't have to (but do) wash the bowls and
they look great at the same time.

Canine nutrition is a fascinating subject with many forks (pardon the pun)
in the road. I tend to go beyond what pet food manufacturers tell me about
their foods and only their foods.

JMO...as always...

Paul