[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Proposed ROM changes

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BJBuie@xxxxxxx" <BJBuie@xxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 15:53:00 -0500

I agree..good discussion!this is going to be long..so bear with me! Your
points are valid and good..but you know I am going to counterpoint!LOL!
Ok..yes the ROM reflects the producing ability of the dog/bitch..but who
orchestrated the breedings..the dog..bitch..or the breeder? yes the
producing ability is genetic..but it is bolstered by our picking out the
right dog..with the right pedigree..much thought goes into it. Dogs don't
care who they get bred to and they are unaware of their producing ability
or what quality they produce. The GSDCA ROM title reflects both the innate
producing ability of the animal and the breeding savvy and knowledge of the
breeder who helped enhance it.

Now on to the select title..I understand your point., but think about this.
Once a dog is a Special and attained the CH in front of his name..we would
hope that it has enough merit to have earned that title but it doesn't mean
it is worthy of a Select rating. I will talk in terms of "dogs" for this
conversation..A Select is above and beyond a CH..it is a "breeding"
recommendation per se. It is the Best of the Best of what we have to offer
as breeders.Yes those dogs are compared to the standard..and the dog is
awarded the title..but who created the dog? the breeder, who had a concept
and decided to take that special bitch, spend the money to breed to the
best dog, whelp the litter, pick the right puppy to keep, nurture that
puppy, train it, love it, spend time and effort and more money to show it.
On the day of specials at the National..the most prestigious GSDCA
event,that dog is groomed to the hilt..in the best condition possible and
shown to its best advantage.In the purist sense it is the dog who may be
awarded that title..but it took a village to get it there! The title Select
is a GSDCA title denoting that quality and the effort of all involved...a
title that the dog is given by a judge who feels the dog has merit above
and beyond the ordinary..and the 'bragging" rights of  what should be a
GSDCA member to be able to advertise that he bred or owned a dog of this
outstanding quality! The GSDCA may not be able to disallow anyone from
entering Breed competition, but it can limit the use of GSDCA title by non
members if it so chooses thus making it even more of an honor and privilege
to have owned or bred a dog of this caliber and no that NO OTHER can use
the Select award in front of their dogs name without being a GSDCA member!

Desperation..breeds desperation. Instead of focusing on getting new members
by "giving" away more..show how proud you are to be a GSDCA member and that
you are a part of an exclusive group of dedicated people who care about the
future of the breed. Make  people feel that being a part of the exclusive
group is limited to only those who truly care about the future of the
breed. that although we care about new members and want new
members,..numbers aren't everything...better to have a few truly dedicated
members, than masses of transitional members who probably won't be in the
club longer than a couple of years and lack the dedication to take the
breed into the future! C.Grainger

FOLKS!).
> Allegedly, when the judge is in the middle of the ring awarding Selects,
he/she is
> basing the award on the merit of the animal in the ring -- the animal is
given
> the right to use the term "Select," not the owner.  The ROM is given to
an
> animal, based on the animal's ability to produce other animals who meet
the AKC
> standard for the breed.  If the titles are just for the owners, and only
owners
> with GSDCA membership, then should we call Lew, AOE Select Champion Lew
Bunch
> TC ROM??? ( I won't even try to figure out what we would call Julie
Degen! :))