[ SHOWGSD-L ] Propane... Thanks...

  • From: "Ron Peet & Jenn Somogyi" <foxfels@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:57:01 -0500

Well, I rec'd MANY replies to my propane furnace questions, THANKS MUCH to
all that took a minute to write a note, they were all very informative and
gave a much better idea of what we were/should be dealing with...
The propane co. came on Wednesday and brought our big tanks, 400 lbs each,
with about 50 lbs of fuel in each tank (in gallons, the tanks together total
160).  Today the co. came and actually filled the tanks and after
questioning him, he said that in two days, (Wed. to Fri.) the fuel level in
the big tanks had hardly changed.  Apparently the cold badly affects the
smaller cylinders (100 lbs and less) and the gas tends to turn to a liquid
and sits at the bottom and cannot be drawn up and used by the appliances and
this is what was happening.  A very frustrating experience!  The propane guy
figures the two full tanks will last a month, maybe more, maybe less
depending on the cold, and they were about $400 to fill.  THIS I can handle,
and if that is the case, it is definitely more cost effective than the oil
was, by about $1000/season.

As far as power outages, we also have a gas generator that we hook up
similar to Marilee with a 'transfer switch', to power the fridge, water
pump, etc.

Jenn

~~
Ron Peet & Jenn Somogyi