[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Progesterone levels

  • From: Doctrcorgi@xxxxxxx
  • To: haringp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:18:43 EST

Hi Petro,
This is a very confusing subject to everyone. Many vets do not understand and
give out incorrect information. In reality it is very simple.

  I the resting bitch the progesterone is below 1 ng. As the bitch comes into
heat the progesterone gradually rises. I will rise at different rates as
nothing in living bodies is then same for all animals. This is where so many
make
mistakes, and this is why with almost all blood values there is a normal
RANGE..This allows for individual variations.

 I have had considerable experience with serum progesterone levels. My
experience dictates that  when the progesterone level reaches 5 ng  ovulation
occurs. This is the point at which most bitches will ovulate, not all of them.
have had a 100% conception rate when using this marker. There is a great
variation in the amount of time it takes a bitch to reach 5ng. Some will
progress say
from 3ng, at a rate of 0.2 ng per day. Others will proceed at a rate of 1 ng
each day. This is why repeated tests are needed . I personally try to do them
every 3 to 4 days if there is a question. One should able to pinpoint ovulation
close enough for all practical purposes using this method.

Once the progesterone level is at 5ng, the LH surge has usually just
occurred. I will then wait 48 hours for the eggs to mature, and breed the next
day for
2 or 3 breedings. Again my conception rate has been 100%..I cant guarantee
yours will be the same(G) It is best to breed on consecutive days if you are
using progenterone as your guide.

I will tell you I had one Corgi bitch come in at 30ng, we bred her and she
had 4 pups.
The progesterone level is usually about 10ng when I breed the bitches. It
also can be higher.

In the bitch and only the bitch, the progesterone level stays up after she
goes out of season whether she is pregnant or not,
In essense then all bitches have false pregnancies after each season These
prolonged progesterone levels every 6 months can and do cause "damage "to the
uterine wall. It is for this reason it is perfectly fine to breed a bitch every
season and spay here when you are finished getting the puppies you
want...OK,OK,. ladies, these are not people, they are dogs and different rules
apply than
your empathy for a poor woman in labor...The dogs usually handle it just fine.

Hopefully you listers will print out a copy of this for your files ...or your
vets(g).

Chuck Kruger dvm
www.dockruger.com

Schaferhaus