[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Professional Handlers/New club members/New Members!

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:19:21 -0800 (PST)

Colleen,

  When we love each other as much as we say we love the breed, the breed will
improve.  Keep the faith.
  Terry
  www.Fairwayshepherds.com

Colleen Donnelly <gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Ed, I know you said after this post that you wrote it on a grumpy day.

Quite honestly, I believe you meant what you said in THIS post. Why do I
believe it? Because of posts you and others have said before concerning it and
the lack of posts after. And as well my own small corner of the world dictates
it, sans 2 breeders. ( and you 2 ladies know who you are ) There are others in
my province/country I am sure are *true* to the breed, I have never met. ( I
hope to meet you soon! )

What you said below is disgusting to me. And sadly, I believe it is the norm.

Of course breeders breed to win....but oh my gawd....to win with a great
temperament, great health, etal, isn't, SHOULDN'T that be part of the master
plan???????

I am MADLY in love with this breed. I am incredibly disillusioned when I see
this. It simply reinforces my thoughts from before that most breeders do not
care TRULY for the breed. It's about some warped sense of ego.

I suppose I should have emailed you this personally....but I want to know
others thoughts. Only one, thank you Kathy, bothered? cared? dared to? respond.
*sigh*

I will be getting my very first show puppy ( hopefully she will conform ) late
this year. I NEVER EVER thought I would go this route. EVER. ( the people on
this list that personally know me will attest to that ) Your facts/tirade/ made
me rethink.

What's the point to breeding if you are not breeding to TRY to perfect/help the
health and temperament etal? Shows and winning should be the last thing on your
mind. ( unless of course it is a money maker and then shame on you ) Breeding
to help the breed should be #1.

What the hell is wrong with trying to help the breed??? I am disgusted, yet
again.

Colleen Donnelly

Edwin Hill wrote:
what a concept!....breed GSDs to do what they were breed to do?......well I
don't mean to sound "flip"....we in this "show" area breed to win!...plain and
simple...oh yea folks will give you that old stand by..."only breed to improve
the breed"......BS...improve it to do what....chase bad guys, herd farmer
John's sheep, lead my blind ex-wife.....oh no...we breed ( conformation
breeders) to have that dog run around the ring looking for us...we breed to
win....and I am involved too, so I am not criticizing what we do....but lets
call it the way it is.........its a sport to some, hobby for others and a
business for a few others....we enjoy doing it...unfortunately there are far to
many people doing it who shouldn't be.....Edwin "B" Hill
Stephen Reierstad wrote: Dania wrote:
learned to
run very fast and can keep up with the race. Is that how we want to
see our
dogs shown? I really would like to know the Listers' opinions.>>

I am still new to the Breed, but it seems to me that our dogs should
be shown in a gait which is a natural speed and tempo. When herding
Sheep, which is what they were bred to do, Even our GSD's couldn't
run full tilt all day. Why not have them shown gaiting at a speed
closer to what they'd do when they're doing the work they were bred
for?

Steve

Visit Two Feathers German Shepherds online at http://www.wmj1944.com
Website updated 7/7/2005.
"If you invite the Wolf to Dinner, then don't get mad when he eats something."
- Unknown
POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG BREED BETTERMENT REGISTRY

"Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is
it popular?' But conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a
point when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor
popular, but one must take it because one's conscience tells him or her that it
is right." ..Dr.Martin Luther King, Jr.

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

Yahoo! Photos
 Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,
whatever.