[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pretty vs Correct The Challenge

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlackHawk Farms LLC" <blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 10:01:55 -0700

I have no problem with that Michael...I would welcome it!!!  Yes it did
start eons ago, by a few, but you have to admit, it has gotten out of
control ?
It is such a shame that handlers, owners etc feel they HAVE to do this, to
win.   It is a shame that handlers feel such pressure , even from judges,
some, that if the dog is au' natural, they don't have a chance. That really
sucks.
I am not saying don't bathe the dogs..one of my pet peeves is someone
showing a dirty or stinky dog...ewwwe.
I am not saying dont blow them out...because that is not putting anything on
the coat.   (and I am going to ask for a clairification here from some of
the judges, if there is anything against it???)  Because I don't know for
sure?
I know , that water is supposedly the only thing you can use?
Would like clairification on that one too, Judges?
You are TOTALLY RIGHT, it has to start somewhere.....if you are not
comfortable with going "cold turkey"
(collective you , here ok?) then maybe folks can just start by...oh , I
don't know..don't dye the whole dog!
Stick to what you can do with clear products , if you must.  At least they
are not changing colors of the dogs.
Besides how many times have we seen a masterfully groomed dog, go in the
ring...all perfect in every way...
and the judges go over them , as they should, and it is all messed up.   The
judges are going to feel the stuff, if
it is sticky, they are going to mess it up...you won't fool them..but it
does make a prettier presentation, no doubt.

Am I going to go through your brush box Michael...OF COURSE NOT.  I am going
to go crazy or anything else if I see you using your colored "mouse" (poor
little guy lol;-)  just teasing you Michael)   no , of course not.  The
egregious
things that we see are not about a dot of mascara to cover a scar, (or I
think all of us have tried the marker-on the-tonail thing, with BAD results,
lol)   It is not about fluffing hair or slicking down hair...yes they
shouldn't be done...
but they are not the huge issues,  that we are addressing now, for the sake
of arguement  We are talking about those that COMPLETELY change the color or
as with drugs , the perfomance of a dog....not mascara, not the little
things ...
the BIG stuff.

But we have to start somewhere.   Let's start with the big stuff , at our
biggest show.
I know that handlers esp at some of these cut throat all breeds do, as Jeff
pointed out get pressure to keep up.
I am not at all blind or non understanding of that plight.   I feel bad for
anyone so pressured..... what a no win (pardon the pun) situation that would
be?

But at our BEST show, for our club's highest honors,  for our Wonderful
Breed, maybe we can be the example?

Best regards to you Michael,
Kathy
http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
Home of :
CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle

WEBSITE PUP-DATED SEPT 22, 2008