[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Premature Puppy Inquiries

  • From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: castlegsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:42:58 -0800 (PST)

Hi.
This is what I do.  I tell them that the 2 best girls/boys will be kept back
for show.  After show picks are made then pet picks will be made based on the
order of deposits.  A $100 refundable deposit can be left to hold their pick. I
explain that if she is not pregnant or has a small litter
( 4 boys, 1 girls and they wanted a girl) then they can either switch to the
opposite sex or I will refund their deposit and help them find a breeder whom I
know/trust.
With one litter, I had deposits on 5 pups (except the 3, I was keeping back)
before the pups were 2 weeks old.
I have had a bitch miss twice, and had 2 deposits each time prior both times  I
called friends who I knew had what my people wanted (sex, OFA parents,
Hip/Elbow guarantee, etc.) and sent them to them.  Everytime they got a pup
from the people I sent them too. And my friends were thankful since they
sometimes needed homes, as well as it gave them less work since I had already
screened them and did reference checks. The people were happy since they loved
their new pup, and liked that I was able to find them a "good" breeder who
stood behind their dogs.  ( I even had one couple who said that was fine that
my bitch missed, and they would wait till I bred her agiain since they really
loved her, and did not want to go anywhere else)
I have a bitch pregnant now.  Same rules.  I have 2 $100 deposits, and my bitch
is just over 4 weeks pregnant.  I told them the ultrasound said she is having
between 5-6, and I will take up to 3 deposits until the pups are here since I
plan on keeping back 2-3 pups for "show".  If she has all girls or all boys (or
long hairs) they can switch to the opposite sex if they chose, if not then I
will help them find another breeder.  They are fine with that.
I also have in my deposit that half monies are due when pups reach 4 weeks old,
and the remainder when the pup is picked up, unless of course thre pup is found
ill or is a long coat and they do not want a long coat.  Then of course I would
refund their deposit, and help them find a pup.  People are fine with that, and
mind you my pups are sold for $1500 on Limited Registration, so its not like
they are agreeing to my terms because they found a "lower" price.
So when people call, get deposits, and have in your receipt that "show" picks
will be made prior.  As long as you explain that to them, and you have a
trusting relationship with them it will all work out.

Ann Marie
www.geocities.com/amarigermanshepherds/Amari.html
Home of CH Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC OFA
and her daughter R/Best In Futurity Amari's Ava Gardner OFA

http://mail.yahoo.com