[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pregnant bitches and raw feeding...

  • From: Royal T Shepherds <gina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:51:27 -0700 (PDT)

I knew I read a study regarding adding human food to kibble, but had quite a
hard time finding it... I had to go back to the archives of the raw list I'm
on...

This is cut and pasted for relevance to the topic, but a link to the whole
article is underneath....

Dr. Larry Glickman, an epidemiologist at the Purdue University School of
Veterinary Medicine, conducted a controlled study on canine bloat, beginning in
1994. He followed 1,914 dogs who did not have a prior history of bloat. Eleven
large and giant breeds were represented in the study.

Several diet-related factors were associated with a higher incidence of bloat.
These include feeding only dry food, or feeding a single large daily meal. Dogs
fed dry foods containing fat among the first four ingredients had a 170 percent
higher risk for developing bloat. Dogs fed dry foods containing citric acid and
were moistened prior to feeding had a 320 percent higher risk for developing
bloat.

Conversely, feeding a dry food containing a rendered meat-and-bone meal
decreased risk by 53 percent in comparison with the overall risk for the dogs
in the study. Mixing table food or canned food into dry food also decreased the
risk of bloat. During the past 30 years there has been a 1,500 percent increase
in the incidence of bloat, and this has coincided with the increased feeding of
dry dog foods. There is a much lower incidence of bloat in susceptible breeds
in Australia and New Zealand. Feeding practices in these countries have been
found to be less dependent on dry foods.

Here is the link to the rest of the article.  I believe it's from 2003, so not
as new as I thought.  BUT, the mere mention of table scraps or canned
food mixed with kibble reducing the risk of bloat, I find very interesting...

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=TUFTSBG2003&Category=824&PID=5091&O=Generic

Gina
ROYAL T SHEPHERDS
http://www.royaltshepherds.com
Home of: Ch Covy Tucker Hill v Royal T's Edsel,CD,NA,CGC,HIC,OFA h/e/t/c