[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pregnancy Cravings and Food Safety

  • From: "Harlowe Jahelka" <hcj2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <SHOWGSD-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:00:26 -0500

Our current pregnant bitch (her first litter) stopped eating her regular
food about a week ago!!!!!!! We have tried everything....but she will not
eat  two meals in row of the same food! We have gone from; Iiams, Bill Jack,
Purina,  puppy canned food to, scrambled eggs, pork chop, cottage cheese,
roll over, or hamburger, We make sure that she gets her vitamins and Nutri
Cal each day, and have a free feeder (kibble) on the floor at all times.We
assume that once she whelps she will once again become a bottomless pit and
will eat what we put down for her.

We also have a Griff bitch that has a liver shunt that should have been
operated on 6 years ago, but the procedure was new and she was not a
candidate, at the time, she was 4 months old .We feed her Purina N.F.
perscription dog food (dry and canned). When she goes off her food, about
twice a year, we take her to the Vet and he loads her up with antibiotics
which keeps her going until next time. It should be noted that the surgery
costs about $2000. now and we have about $4000 in vet bills blood tests and
special food invested in this litle girl, The cost was never a
consideration.

Harlowe Jahelka
Belleterre GSDs and Brussels Griffons