[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Predators - now Hawk

  • From: "myjoygs@xxxxxxx" <myjoygs@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Gsdjudge@xxxxxxx, wdlnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:54:55 -0500 (EST)

Since we are talking hawks and owls, I have a question.  I have a small
preserve in back of my house.  I have deer, hawks, heron, feral cats all kinds
of birds.  I am pretty sure I have an owl.  When I go out at night to bring the
dogs in the outside kennel in the house for the night, there are times I hear
this god awful scream, screech its hard to explain.  One morning while it was
still dusk I was putting the dogs out and heard the scream, I saw eyes way up
in a tree but couldn't make out what it was and it looked like something was
fighting.  Another time at dusk I saw two big black birds bomb diving something
just sitting there on a branch.  I was trying to make out what it was ran back
in the house and got my camera with the zoom and still was having a hard time
but concluded that it was an owl just don't know what kind.  It was dark
colored, very large like a cat and what looked to be tuffs on the ears.  It was
 not a cat because the back of the owl there was no tail and was like v shaped
almost.  I also saw it move its head almost all the way around.  I am thinking
screeching owl, the sound is just blood chilling : )  Anyone have any ideas.  I
am in Ohio.