[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Precision... suspension again

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, <israelfriedberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 23:18:48 -0800

As stated below by Kathaleen....we saw many dogs with their heads pulling into
the leash so hard they had
their heads down into their necks, leaning into the leash for momentum and the
'appearance' of movement .
Some were pulling so hard their tails were literally rippling or  flopping.
Most of these will  kick up with little
rear drive when the tension is released.     I still see more kick up in the
rear than I did locked hocks.......and
still seeing the "rotating"  stifle that has to rotate 'out' on the follow
through and ' in ' at the hocks  to keep from
dragging their toes and this one NEVER ceases to amaze me when they are often
rewarded with wins.    I can't
think of many more problems that will cause a dog to wear down than
this......other than bad backs with a hinge
in the middle or a soft dip in the middle of the back....or a pounding front.

In a truly balanced animal you never see any of these issues.   They move with
ease and suspension like the
"well oiled machine" ......fluid, with beautiful precision.   True pure movers!
When you see these true precision movers you can't always describe any
particular part that is  "spectacular'"
so much as the incredible precision and ease with which they move at all
speeds....stopping and starting and turning
and accelerating or slowing easily.   EVERY part is synchronized and balanced.
I have tried to make a simplified drawing of this on our web site on the GSD
FAQ's page with the dog in full extension.
I will try to make a better version later ......but hopefully now it will still
help to illustrate the precise balance required
for a pure correct moving dog in a way that is simple to understand.
Even the neck angle should be in balance with the croup and tail.    That is
how " precision"  is.....nothing....NOTHING
is out of sync........from the head carriage to the stifle to the tip of the
tail.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com