[ SHOWGSD-L ] Positive/Negative

  • From: "Jane Kerner" <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 09:55:21 -0600

Sometimes I like to think about the Ten Commandments and the Constitution of
the United States of America.

They have been and are, by most of us, memorized and recited.

All are written in the Negative.

They are a strenuous list of "Thou shalt nots".

Each, however has a positive side.

If the directive says: "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy
neighbor", then the positive side of the directive asserts "Thou shall tell the
truth" and say nothing  to hurt your neighbor unjustly, always remembering to
put the best possible construction on your neighbor's actions, saying nothing
to slander nor harm him unfairly.
 "Thou shalt" be a "truth teller".

(Unhappily, sometimes "nothing can be said so simply to avoid distortion by
someone who wants to quibble......").

Negative/Positive, or conversely, if you prefer, Positive/Negative.

Sometimes I like to think about the Bill of Rights, the first ten amendments to
the Constitution of the United States.

Those very important ten amendments are a carefully set forth list of "thou
shalt nots" to the federal government (Congress). What Congress may not
do.........

The first Amendment begins:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.........."
Congress may not pass a law demanding that we all become Methodists, declaring
the Methodism as the National Religion.

And the result is religious freedom....... .......clearly asserted by a
negative with positive results when adhered to by legislative bodies.

So we need all opinions freely expressed, because from many opinions, often a
good idea springs which is beneficial to all.

Neither should be afraid to express our opinions about issues in a public
forum.  This is how people arrive at workable solutions to problems and
challenges.

Here is a positive opinion of my own.

Sometimes we should wag more and bark less.

"But" sometimes, we need to forget the wagging ........and start barking to
warn the flock.

Now here is the really tough part........

We need the wisdom to know when to wag and when to bark.............and when to
let sleeping dogs stay sleeping.

Jane Kerner