[ SHOWGSD-L ] Poor Sportsmanship in the NE This Weekend

  • From: wendygsd@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 16:38:04 +0000

I'm a little slow replying to this because my good computer was in the shop and
I got set no mail, but I did want to make a few comments, because I feel that
Laurie Pruett was being very kind in her post.
First of all, I have never been a big breeder, nor have I wanted  to be......I
never even wanted to breed at all, but did have a two litters due to co-owner
committments, one 1992 and my last in 1998.
 To get to my point, I bred one champion in my first litter and have owned two,
being an 'unknown' and with very little showing.  But because I had friends who
were really into breeding and showing, I allowed myself to be totally consumed
with the dog show world for a number of years and always said I would be there
unless it wasn't fun.  I just loved being in the atmosphere of dogs and
friends.  Well, a couple of years ago, I became totally disillusioned with lack
of commradierie and negative attitudes and completely quit showing and swore
that I would never be back.  I didn't stop going to some of the local shows or
the National, but it was just to visit with a few good friends and because I
always love watching the dogs.
Don't you know that after not showing for four years, I got a puppy a couple of
months ago, and showed him for the first time this weekend.  I was really
excited to get back out there with a puppy of my own in the ring.  At not quite
7 months old, he's stagey, and pretty level and I didn't expect him to win, but
I am so in love with this puppy's temperament and overall type that I just
entered him to support the local clubs and have some fun.
Well, the first two events that Laurie spoke of really didn't bother me. I am
so used to the arrogance of this top handler who was at the back of the line
and refused to go around for 'another practice round', that I thought nothing
of it.  That was nothing compared to some of the intimidation I've seen him
attempt with judges.  Then the second event was obviously an owner/handler who
was mad at the judge and took his dog around the ring without a lead and with a
toy in her mouth trying to make 'his' opinion known to the judge.  It was
definitely not proper ring procedure, but the dog never left his side and
wasn't out of control....and the judge wrongly awarded him with the Reserve.
The third event Laurie spoke about was the one that really upset me because
this is a handler who I have always liked, yet this is not the first time I've
actually heard him make comments to the judge about another dog during judging
that I really felt affected the outcome.  This is totally uncalled for and
unethical IMO, and what Laurie neglected to mention was that there were people
in tears and nasty comments made afterwards.  I also heard some negative
comments made about a friend's lovely puppy bitch that I was not intended to
hear.
Again, IMO, the most consistent judging was done at Androscoggin's show. I
never understand it when a judge has very similar dogs to judge, and then
rewards apples and oranges in the Winners' class.  To make this clear, WD from
the previous two shows had finished and was not in contention.  That was not a
factor, and IMO he was deserving of his wins.
Anyway, I am not a 'newbie' by any means, and once again, I walked away
thinking.....'If it's not fun, why would anyone want to spend their money doing
this.....especially in this poor economy.'  And why on earth would anyone want
to spend all their time and effort into even putting on a show when you're not
appreciated.  We have already lost a number of specialties in the NE.  THINK
ABOUT IT PEOPLE.....I haven't kept up with the point schedule and I was aghast
to see how low it's gotten and now I don't wonder why....if my puppy's rear
never drops, I couldn't care less.
Wendy Luba
Cheeryo GSD's