[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Political Action Committee (PAC)

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: CARALAND@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:41:42 EDT

Jack, please contact Bill Hemby of PETPac.   I believe it's
bhemby@xxxxxxxxxx, but can find out for sure or give you his phone number.
They didn't form a
PAC this time for many reasons (One, there wasn't time and needed to get
going).   But they definitely plan on forming a PAC, and may have one in the
works
already.   The oversight of PETPac is already in place and availble for
public scrutiny.   I have learned of the many steps that you must go through
while
forming a PAC, and it's formidable.   We don't need to invent the wheel, it's
already invented, they need the funds to keep it greased and turning.    I
won't go into my thoughts about AKC's plan, other to say they are about 60
years
too late.

For those who are confused about PETPac and PAC.   A PAC must register with
the state and has ALL sorts of scrutiny regarding their finances and to whom
contributions are paid, and who gives the PAC money.   Very regulated in
California, especially since some of our less (ahem) honest legislators have
been
"outed".    PETPac took the name with the Pac as lowercase to differentiate.

Right now, CFODC will be changing gears and heading towards education and
community involvement, keeping in close contact with PETPac for political
advice
and forewarning (besides our own knowledgeable members).   We (CFoDC) need to
also start building our treasury (finally, cried the treasurer...ME!) and
building our membership after delaying much in order to back PETPac.    We do
need
political awareness, but beyond that we need a PROGRAM.   There have been
some great ideas bandied about, and the best one so far (IMNSHO) is to develop
state wide TNR for the feral cats.   Since they account for more than 60% of
euthanasias and intake at shelters, it would be a big coup to reduce those
numbers remarkably and quickly.

Getting the veterinarians to donate time to the shelters, gettin US to donate
time t the shelters.   developing enough credibility with the shelters to
allow us to identify breeds, also allowing reputable breed rescues to pull the
animals immediately after the mandated hold time.

Starting SOMEHOW German Shepherd Dog Rescue (rehoming) shelters.   GSDs are
way too numerous in shelters and there are only TWO rescues in the southland
that I know of, and one of them supported AB1634.

Those are positive forward moving steps we can take and the criticism that
was leveled at us was correct.   There are steps that we as a dog fancy haven't
been active enough in.   Some of us have, many haven't.
In a message dated 7/11/07 2:33:41 PM, CARALAND@xxxxxxx writes:

> Now that AB1634 has been shelved we must not go back to sleep. Pushed by
> the
> AR groups it will keep raising it's ugly head in one way or another.
> Sponsored by Levine or someone like him. Those of us in the "Dog World" need
> organize a Political Action Committee (PAC) and operate it on an ongoing
> basis.
> To be successful we would need professional guidance from people that know
> and
> operate in the political world. Ideally the PAC would be managed by people
> in the dog fancy who would raise the funds  to operate it and make campaign
> donations to suitable political candidates who need our help. The ones of us
> in
> California have had our warning and we must heed it or we will be  attacked
> again further down the road.  If we form a PAC we must be  willing to
> support
> it  actively and financially. There are enough dog  fanciers in California
> make it a formidable organization.
>
> I would be interested in your thoughts.
>
>         Jack  Newton

~~~~~~~~