[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Police Dog on the street at 18 months?

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 19:54:42 -0700

One of our dogs went to work for the PD at just over 12 months of age
because they wanted his nose out there. They understood that he would not
be a totally mature patrol dog and although he passed his certification
they did not use him for anything other than nose work. In his first year
he helped capture 60 bad guys by using his nose and many times finding
evidence that veteran dogs had missed. a while later he captured a known
felon who decided to fight him. By that time he had matured and could
handle anything. That department consisted of very excellent handlers who
were real dog people and definitely understood what a dog was ready for.

Lots of departments use "canned" Czech dogs who are raced through the
training and certified. The quality of work often leaves a lot to be
desired.
Ruth

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 4:18 PM, <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My city, Brentwood California just announced today that it has its first
Police dog, an 18 month old German Shepherd Dog imported from
Czechoslovakia .... Haven't been involved actively with protection/police
dogs for over 20 years now, but from my memory and experience 18 month old
dogs are generally not street reliable , for those of you who still do
IPO/Protection work ,have things changed? 18 month old males are usually
still goofs! Ed

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App