[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Poke salad and Kudzu

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:27:59 -0700

For those of us who grew up in the South, Pokeweed is just that a
WEED...nasty big, coarse...and yes my Grandma would fix it...just to
irritate us, and chit'lins....she was a tremendous cook otherwise, but would
serve us kids this (cousins and the like) and laugh.
Kudzu.....AAAACK....GROWS A FOOT A DAY, OVER CARS , TELEPHONE POLES,
ANYTHING...A SCOURGE IN THE SOUTH.
Kathy

On 7/26/07, Cyndy Davis <cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well it's POKE Sallet or Salad, and my grandmother used to cook it, and
> feed
> it to us - like turnip greens, but after looking it up on wikipedia, I
> won't
> ever eat it again.
> You have to boil the leaves three times, each time draining the water and
> adding fresh water to reduce the toxins. If you eat it raw, it will either
> kill you or you will wish it had. :-)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed
>

> It's also used as a homeopathic remedy for acne, tonsillitis, swollen
> glands, and to promote weight loss. (Probably from the retching if you
> don't
> cook it.)
>
> It's served with cornbread in the South down h'yar. (I'm down h'yar in
> Dallas this month recovering from surgery.)
>

> Elvis sang a song about it - Polk Salad Annie.
>

> Kind of reminds me of Kudzu, which is a weed that covers everything in
> its'
> path, and when the highway department in Georgia couldn't kill it off,
> they
> got in cahoots with the vitamin companies, and now it is considered a
> remedy
> for all kinds of things and is sold in pill form.

http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
Ch. Elvaston's Nations Cup, TC, OFA
26 BOB/BISS to Date