[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Points to Ponder

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: jillkrzyzak@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:48:25 EDT

Jill Krzyzak <jillkrzyzak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:   I've been  reading many of the
posts recently and I'm appalled at the lack of tolerance  from people on this
list. The "It's my way or no way" attitude that seems so  prevalent is
unsettling. Whether anyone reads this or not, so be it, but I feel  the need to
vent
about some things:
1. I've been involved in raising,  training and showing dogs for over 20
years. I started in Obedience and Agility  training and showing other people's
dogs long before I got my first dog (Bichon  Frise when I was 16). Before I
graduated from high school that Bichon made it to  #3 Bichon in the country in
Obedience. In college I got to know Sherry Nolan  (who got me started in
showing
GSDs - THANK YOU Sherry) and had the great  pleasure of working for Sherry and
with her fantastic dogs. I have an 8 1/2 year  old R-Man daughter that I am
losing to cancer. Even before I knew my girl was  sick I had started looking at
getting a new GSD puppy. A puppy that she could  help me train, to learn her
good habits and manners. I started looking at litter  announcements on the List
as Sherry had decided not to do any more breeding.  Then a thread started on
the List about selling puppies to people and exactly  whom people would NEVER
sell/give a puppy to. Many of the people on
this list  professed to NEVER give a puppy to anyone with young children. I
was appalled  that so many breeders wouldn't even consider giving a puppy to a
family with  young children based on one bad experience they had (and in a
couple of cases,  they had made this determination based on one experience some
friend of theirs  had). I have a 3 year old son and a 1 year old son. My boys
have been and will  be raised around animals. They are learning to be
respectful, gentle, humane,  etc. I can give stellar vet references and
references from
many well known  people in the GSD community but that would mean nothing to
these people because  I happen to have small children. Many went so far as to
profess that they would  never make an exception to their own rule.

2. This recent discussion about house dogs vs kennel dogs is all well and
good but it's gone too far. This attitude that it's so horrible to have dogs in

kennels is so closed minded. What would happen to some of you that have only
a  couple of dogs in the house but still have litters every once in a while.
Lets  say that half of your last litter was returned to you all around the same
time  frame and you were unable to find homes for all those dogs right away.
What  would you do? Would you keep them until you could find homes? Tell the
owners to  call a rescue group? Tell them to dump the dogs to rot in a shelter
because you  couldn't house them? If you did keep them, what would you do with
them? Crate  them all, all day long if you have to work? Isn't that just as
bad as having  them in a kennel? At least in a kennel run they have freedom of
movement, they  can get up and walk, they can potty if they need to and not
have to lay in it  the rest of the day.
Sometimes what we don't like is still a much better  alternative than most of
the other possibilities.
Jill

Hi Jill

The first red flag for me when I meet anyone is when they use the phrase
"I'll never..".......Either they haven't had enough experiences or they are too

rigid for me to deal with.

All my dogs are crate trained, kennel trained, couch trained, bed trained
and potty trained.  They are car trained, and Dexter prefers my husband BMW  to
the Van.........that punk!

Since I haven't perfected that "walking on water" deal.......I am not
perfect. Neither are they.  So a dog having a bad day may need to go to a
crate.
Just recently, we had a plumbing disaster, and they had to be  crated while
repairs and cleanup got done.  They prefer the couch, or my  bed (they don't
think I know they jump on my bed when I am not  home......LOL).

My kids were raised with dogs all around, and I am convinced they were
better off because of it.  I wish I had a puppy for you to consider, but I
don't.
But if anyone wants to know about dogs and kids, I'll be happy to  talk to
them about our experiences.

One thing I can tell you for sure.......there is always a dog waiting  for
their perfect home.  Keep looking.

And brace yourself for the "food wars"............lol

Ileana

Home.