[ SHOWGSD-L ] Points to Ponder

  • From: Jill Krzyzak <jillkrzyzak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:08:06 -0700 (PDT)

I've been reading many of the posts recently and I'm appalled at the lack of
tolerance from people on this list. The "It's my way or no way" attitude that
seems so prevailent is unsettling. Whether anyone reads this or not, so be it,
but I feel the need to vent about some things:

1. I've been involved in raising, training and showing dogs for over 20 years.
I started in Obedience and Agility training and showing other people's dogs
long before I got my first dog (Bichon Frise when I was 16). Before I graduated
from high school that Bichon made it to #3 Bichon in the country in Obedience.
In college I got to know Sherry Nolan (who got me started in showing GSDs -
THANK YOU  Sherry) and had the great pleasure of working for Sherry and with
her fantastic dogs. I have an 8 1/2 year old R-Man daughter that I am losing to
cancer. Even before I knew my girl was sick I had started looking at getting a
new GSD puppy. A puppy that she could help me train, to learn her good habits
and manners. I started looking at litter announcements on the List as Sherry
had decided not to do any more breeding. Then a thread started on the List
about selling puppies to people and exactlly whom people would NEVER sell/give
a puppy to. Many of the people on
 this list professed to NEVER give a puppy to anyone with young children. I was
appalled that so many breeders wouldn't even consider giving a puppy to a
family with young children based on one bad experience they had (and in a
couple of cases, they had made this determination based on one experience some
friend of theirs had). I have a 3 year old son and a 1 year old son. My boys
have been and will be raised around animals. They are learning to be
respectful, gentle, humane, etc. I can give stellar vet references and
references from many well known people in the GSD community but that would mean
nothing to these people because I happen to have small children. Many went so
far as to profess that they would never make an exception to their own rule.

2. This recent discussion about house dogs vs kennel dogs is all well and good
but it's gone too far. This attitude that it's so horrible to have dogs in
kennels is so closed minded. What would happen to some of you that have only a
couple of dogs in the house but still have litters every once in a while. Lets
say that half of your last litter was returned to you all around the same time
frame and you were unable to find homes for all those dogs right away. What
would you do? Would you keep them until you could find homes? Tell the owners
to call a rescue group? Tell them to dump the dogs to rot in a shelter because
you couldn't house them? If you did keep them, what would you do with them?
Crate them all, all day long if you have to work? Isn't that just as bad as
having them in a kennel? At least in a kennel run they have freedom of
movement, they can get up and walk, they can potty if they need to and not have
to lay in it the rest of the day.
 Sometimes what we don't like is still a much better alternative than most of
the other possibilities.