[ SHOWGSD-L ] Please have my permission

  • From: "Margery Golant" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 21:23:29 -0400

Evan, if you can't figure out how to do it, I will be happy to help you to
post it if you want it posted, particularly since I want to then be able to
post all the reasons why I disagree with you.

 The two main ones:

1 - It would be a complete and profound conflict of interest for the members
of the Executive Committee to be the decision-makers in whether the charges
against THEM should be sent forward.  Identical to putting the inmates in
charge of the asylum or the fox in charge of the hen-house.  While the
By-laws do not have a provision for such a scenario and normally charges DO
go through the Executive Committee, the law takes priority over the By-laws.
The law makes it quite clear that directors cannot act in situations where
the have a direct and conplete conflict of interest, and being the sole
decision-makers as to whether or not to kill the charges against them is as
direct a conflict of interest as I could imagine.

2 - These are the very same people who would not even let me participate in
the discussion, let alone the voting, on my own "charges" - they actually
disconnected me from the call.  It would be an obvious injustice for them to
utilize the opposite procedure when the charges are against THEMSELVES.

Margy

The refusal of the Defendants to address this issue further demonstrating
their indifference to their fiduciary duty of care and loyalty to the GSDCA,
inasmuch as it is a general principle of law that the business judgment rule
does not apply when director has conflict of interest, or when fraudulent,
illegal or reckless decisions are made.  In fact, the correct standard when
there is a possibility of conflict of interest is one of "enhanced
scrutiny", which would clearly preclude any possible good faith assertion
that the By-laws provision designating the Executive Committee to pass on
charges against itself.