[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pitts DO KILL

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <GSD0110@xxxxxxx>, <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:06:59 -0800

Well......I'm not "politically correct".....but then I almost never am
anyway......<G>    But IMO as
Gary and Ed said......this IS the problem with the Pit Bull.    Once it makes
that initial bite....it's
in a different mode or "zone" than most other dogs.   This is the rule....not
the exception.
With other Breeds it is the exception.
We can all tell stories of them being the sweetest dog on the earth, lovable
and playful and fun....
but never forget......they WERE bred to kill.    They were NOT bred to fight
for a while until declared
a winner,   they were bred to kill.
Any Breed of dog is capable of a bite and some will even attack....but most
will bite and leave.
This particular Breed was bred to not stop until they've killed.     Watch the
video tapes of them...
their tails are wagging all the time they are fighting.....one dying....one
winning by killing,  and both
are wagging their tails the entire time until it's over.    This is not anger
nor protection.....they are
obeying their genetic code.
Until you've had one sweet Pit Bull suddenly change it's demeanor and lock onto
you with that
"look"  I think some will always blame the owners and never the Breed  and talk
about having people
put down and sterilized because they aren't worthy to own a dog......and often
it is true....but you can
never change the fact of the havoc this Breed has brought upon Human Beings
with absolutely
no antagonism...and no motive for going after it's victims.    Most were
considered sweet dogs.

What about the case of the man that was killed on the streets of his
neighborhood by two Pit Bulls.
It took them a while to take him down and kill him......and not one neighbor
had the guts to come
outside and help him.    Do we sterilize and kill all the neighbors too because
it's THEIR fault??

I sat on the river with an 8 month old GSD at my feet one day watching a family
and their Pit Bull
play and it was a happy tail wagging dog filled with joy and play.....as most
Pit Bulls are.
( they are not all owned by criminals and idiots )   This was a well bred
dog....a fawn colored beauty!
Suddenly it spotted me about 60 feet away and it began to approach me with that
slow threatening
walk and it's eyes were locked into me like snake eyes.     The family called
and called but he was
in that "zone"  and did not respond to them at all.....it didn't even hear
them.......as it got closer I could
see pure death in it's eyes.    My puppy realized it all of a sudden and stood
up and made itself BIG
and roared  at the Pit Bull.    The Pit Bull suddenly realized there were "two
of us"......and snapped
out of that "zone"  and turned and went back to the owners and play.......

Yes......every dog can be a risk, especially with poor owners......but......My
concern is, and always
will be that we will lose all the Breed legislation wars over this one Breed.
  Who wins.........??

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com
   GSD0110@xxxxxxx
     I have been extremely against Pit Bulls for years because I was once a
breeder of APBT's.  My ex-girlfriends little boy
  got in the run with an old male that I owned after I had quit breeding.  He
spent 8 hours in surgery and 11 days in the
   hospital for his trouble.  I was devastated also.  My dog had never (he was
8 years old) even ACTED like he would bite
  a person before that day.
  My contention is this:  A Pit Bull is no more likely to bite you than a GSD.
BUT if a GSD has to bite you it will do JUST what
   it has to do to stop the threat.... I have done quite a bit of protection
work and that is true even with trained dogs.  If a German Shepherd would do
MORE than that he is mentally defective.  A Pit Bull, while no more likely to
bite you originally that the GSD.
  .. or Poodle, or Lab, or Golden.... will not stop when the threat ends... if
it gets started it will KILL you if it can.  Whether a
  person wants to believe you or not that is the truth.  I have NEVER
considered myself and EXPERT on GSD's
  (I am working on it) but I DO consider myself an expert on Pit Bulls.

  You have hit the nail squarely on the head IMO Gary.  To everyone who says
"all dogs can be dangerous" or "any large dog can kill", read, reread then read
again Gary's experience.  When you hear "other large dogs", emphasis on the
"dogs" part of it.  Pack behavior is quite different (and not what we're
talking about).
  Individual Pits (and Filas, etc.), IF they bite, DON'T stop after "a"
bite.Kathy

    Agree or disagree there aren't many people in this sport whose wisdom and
knowledge I respect more than Ms. Martello. I hate discrimination for many
obvious reasons, but mainly it was the way I was raised...but Pitt Bulls are
different...and when you or some one you care about has been the victim of
these dogs...well it makes you look at things differently...lost an uncle to a
drunk driver in 1969...still hurts today...you should hear my views on that
subject!......Pitts Bulls and Pitt Bull types are more or a problem than your
average dog....saying a 4 pound Yorkie can be just as dangerous in the right
situation is like saying I have a chance to win the lottery tonight...true but
certainly not likely...I am not going to come out saying we need to ban these
dogs...(and Sheila they DO KILL, just trust me on that one)...but if our
communities don't do something soon and something effective, the day is coming
when I AM going to cross over to the other side and call for the ban of these
breeds....the safety of innocent people come first...Ed Hill