[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "Pit" shot question

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 07:09:22 EST

In a message dated 3/31/2006 8:40:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
uwish@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Another  question please.............for those who use pit shots for
their bitches  who are whelping........how many cc's do you use at one
time?  How  much should I be asking my vet to give me tomorrow for my
bitch who is  having the small litter?  The x-ray showed 2 puppies.
Someone  said they never use pit shots.  I must admit...........in all my
litters I've whelped, I never once used a pit shot on any of them.
Thanks again,  Barbara

Once a bitch has a puppy, if there is nothing going on after and hour  and a
half, 1/2 to 3/4 a cc under the skin.  Make sure there isn't a puppy  in the
birth canal before you give the shot.  A strong contraction could  trap the
umbilical cord of the puppy against the bitch's pelvic bone and  suffocate the
puppy.  You don't have to poke around to see if there is a  puppy in the birth
canal; place the palm of you hand on the outside of the bitch  between her back
legs.  If the area there is soft and pliable, there's no  puppy in the birth
canal.  If you can feel that it is hard and taught,  there is a puppy coming
and it has entered the birth canal.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_