[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pit Bull roundup

  • From: "Mo Murkland" <murk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 18:50:24 -0500

Luanne,
   I have been doing school presentations for almost 10 years
now...............and we have had as many as 200 kids in with my now, 3
generations of Therapy Dogs. I agree we need to teach responsible pet
ownership..........BUT we also need to be teaching these kids the proper way
to act around dogs! When we go to the Libraries for story time..........I
make sure I tell the parents they teach their kids to look both ways before
crossing the street........and to not talk to strangers but how many of them
set down and talk their kids about how to act around dogs? A vicious dog
could do as much damage as a car or a stranger could! I try and help them
get in the dogs mind and explain why dogs do the things they do. I actiually
had one elementary school teacher proudly tell me she talked to her
students.........just told them to stare the dog down!!!!!!!  GEEZE! We are
going in again Friday to say Happy Vacation to a couple of the Special Needs
classes we have been working with.o

> I agree with you on the education part, that is where the breed clubs and
the AKC should come into play. I know I have done educational seminars at my
son's private school, bringing not only my shepherds and thier achievments
but actually brought a whole litter of pups into his school for their annual
pet week. But then again I am only one person many others need to get
involved in educated the public on responsible dog ownership. I applaude
those that do, and want to send a message to others to get involved. We are
in danger of more BSL, and I know for one I don't want to have to hide my
dogs.