[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Pigment

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:05:20 -0800

First of all I think a clarification of "pigment" is needed.
People talk about pigment , generally in two terms:  As it relates to the
depth and amt of black
and as it relates to the depth of tan or red, or  lack.
Bi colors, don't necessarily have "good pigment"  Bi color is a derivation
of a b/t which can range
from deep red to almost silver.  We see a LOT of black and silver, black and
creme bi colors.  Breeding to them will NOT give you depth or richness of
tan, only more  black.
If you want to improve tan you must breed to red or rich tan or rich sable
with the red undercoat.
If you need to improve black, then bi color will do that for you to a
degree, so will sable, keeping in mind if the secondary color (tan ) is
weak, it will also come through.
We have gotten dogs in here with extremely pale tan or creme, with LOTS of
ticking or saddle fade...we call it auto immune black and tan.  It seems to
be an issue when a dog has very faded pigment that is will often point to
greater problems.  The coats on these auto immune dogs also are either too
wirey or too soft, rabbit like.

Pigment is very important, it is part of what makes our breed distinct...the
lack of it often points to greater issues.  It is easy to get...and NOT
acceptable from a bottle or spray can...that is only fooling oneself.

Kathy
http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
Updated: Oct 20, 2008 ~ HOME OF::
CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle

*WE SUPPORT DRUG AND DYE TESTING*