[ SHOWGSD-L ] Pick your poison

  • From: "myjoygs@xxxxxxx" <myjoygs@xxxxxxx>
  • To: caretti1@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:10:26 -0500 (EST)

I believe environment has a lot to do with bloat as well.  What about scenarios
where the dog has been away from home (for showing, training, stud etc) some
dogs are laid back enough and take everything in stride and then there are dogs
that do not.  I think there are a lot of factors, stress, genetics, food, etc.
I know a story where a dog was at a handlers for months for showing, the owners
happen to be in town and visited then left and the dog bloated and died.. to me
that clearly is stress related, like any health issue some can lie dormant and
be triggered by something.  Breeding is a crap shoot you never know what your
going to get health wise, every line has something, its like pick your poison.
Know your lines well and what lies in them and try not to double up, which is
hard because some won't disclose what they have experienced in their lines.
How can a breeder make an informed breeding decision without having all the
facts.  A majority of our dogs we breed go to pet homes who are loved and
spoiled and the heart ache that these pet owners experience when their pet
becomes tragically ill and they spend thousands to save their beloved dog.  Or
how many of us have had that special show dog and it bloats, torsions or a
litter that we have to put down, innocent puppies, because of mega, its
heartbreaking.  We have to do the best we can and be well informed of what is
in our lines and those we breed to and try not to double or triple up on it, I
think it an eye opener when you go to breed your bitch and look around for
something to breed to and notice that the gene pool is getting very very small
trying to find something that is relatively free of health issues.  Ideally
breed to lines that are free of health issues, sadly if we did that today,
there would be no litters and eventually no german shepherds, what is the
solution?  JMHO

Joyce