[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Petland response

  • From: Kris Kudel <vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arcturus <Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx>, thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 06:10:17 -0500 (CDT)

=====================
From: Arcturus <Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2006/09/18 Mon PM 06:40:34 CDT
To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Petland response

This was written by Nancy Babyak.  She put into words what I think so many of
us feel. I have her permission to copy it to our list. SueT
What is most disturbing about this course of events is the "appearance"  that
all of us as responsible breeders will now be considered by the public as
being on the same plane as Pet Land. Certainly it sounds pretty neat that  the
AKC's educational materials will be available at Pet Land. Still let's be
"real" here. How many people looking for a puppy will call or email a Pet Land
store to talk to someone to find out about a breed?  How many Pet Land  puppy
purchases are impulse - "hey kids let's go look at the puppies . .  ."  Who
does
Pet Land employ - certainly not breeders with breed knowledge.  Will
employees screen prospective puppy buyers  - doubtful. Are Pet Land  employees
going
to be trained by the AKC, or have any kind of experience in AKC  events? Is my
own 20 years in a breed, and over 30 years in dogs,  of less  benefit than
that of a Pet Land employee? Will a Pet Land employee say to a  customer, "No,
am afraid this breed is not for you?"  Will Pet Land  refuse to sell puppies
during the holidays or to people who want to give a puppy  as a gift?

To all of us who spend hours screening our puppy inquiries, who follow-up
with our puppy families, who have contracts which guarantee we will always take

back a puppy/dog for its lifetime, who make all the efforts on health
testing,  who spend time educating and talking dogs with our puppy families . .
 .
this is a slap in the face. How can anyone explain that an hour or so a  family
may spend in Pet Land compares to the hours, weeks, months, even years  many
of us spend with our puppy families? There is no intelligent  explanation for
any of us (as breeders) to deserve to be  placed on the same level of AKC
endorsement as Pet Land.

Hysteria - hardly. For the AKC to endorse a national pet store chain -  and
to hear this move supported under the guise of education - is an insult  to
every hard working and conscientious breeder in this country. Do any of us
merely hand out brochures and a receipt, and the vital registration slip

It has been my experience that few of my "pet" puppy families care about
registering their puppy. Yes they want to see a pedigree, and indeed it is
important that they see the AKC papers; however when questioned, many families
have told me they don't see the "need" to register a pet that will not be shown

or entered in performance events, will be neutered, and be a loved family
member. Over the years I have sent in and paid for the registrations  myself.
Realistically, and only judging from my experience, I can't see the AKC
gaining
a landslide of money unless Pet Land puppy purchasers are forced to  register
their puppies or perhaps the registration will be built into the  price of the
puppy? And if so, then let's call it for what it is -  financial. So what
really is driving this latest move?

And when buyers remorse sets in, where will these AKC endorsed pet shop
puppies end up?

Nancy Babyak
Kidwelly Cardigan Corgis

Well said!! That's all I can add.