[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Personality determined before birth?

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:43:41 -0500

Ann,

I cannot agree that Stephanie's personality was environmental as a singleton
pup.? Charm had a singleton pup via c-section.? He is a gorgeous coat.? He was
also a sweetie tho he was spoiled rotten from birth.? Not only spoiled by the
humans but the other dogs doted on him.? He was weaned early as Charm just did
not produce enough milk.? I didn't place him until he was 8 mos old.? He is
now?5 yrs old.? He has been an excellent companion to his owner, her grandkids
and all the?doggy?visitors.? Had Alpha been in his genetics, he may have turned
out differently.? He?sure had the opportunity to take advantage of being an
only?with everyone loving him so much.? But, he was just a sweet natured boy
and that has still true, years later.? He was even a?Top 100 (of 2000 entries)
Cutest Dog in the Orange County Register.??????

Then, there is Charm's second litter of 8 pups.? I kept 2 girls, trying to
decide which I would breed.??One girl is?high drive?and doesn't know when to
quit.? Charm wanted nothing to do with her after they were weaned.? This
girl?is Alpha.? The other pup is submissive to her Mom.? They play hard and
Melody tests her Mom but more for fun than anything.??Charm tolerates so much
from her that it continues to amaze me.? But, Melody never pushes the issue.?
She KNOWS where the line is and has no desire to cross it.? This
mother/daughter team are house dogs and I never worry about a fight.? They have
the hierarchy thing down.? Oh, Melody is 3-`/2 years old now.? Stephanie may be
like?my first girl who didn't know when to quit.? She's full of herself and
wants everyone to know it.? That's not a bad thing, especially if you want to
show her :-)????

Environment and training may help or change a situation but I do believe the
personality really is determined in the womb and we have to work with what we
get in the best way we can.? I could write a book about that concept from
dealing with multiple breeds but this is really just my opinion.

Laura Thomas??????????