[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Personal experience

  • From: Lyn Chernak <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx" <gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx>, Iza Ackerman <izaackerman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 06:07:32 -0700 (PDT)

As I recall, not too long ago on this list, there was the question as to how to
attract new people, why are they going to the schutzhunds clubs, how do we get
new younger members interested? Negativity and public bashing are not the
answers. When a novice person questions what they see in the GSD world to what
they read in the Standard and bring to surface the obvious changes or
difference, doesn't that tell you anything. A true teacher / educator of the
breed would explain the differences and take the time to help the novice
understand not bash them and turn them away. Some people may become defensive
and possibly because the questions hit too close to home, however that should
be used as  learning tool.
Some people fear the unknown and find it easier or safer to condemn, dismiss or
reject that which they refuse to take the time and research or learn about. Yet
they can jump up on their soap box and preach half a story as the true entire
story.

There is a difference in understanding the breed and all its capabilities, to
which area you choose to show your dog in. To do justice to the breed you need
to fully understand the Standard and how to apply it to a breeding program then
choose where you wish to show your dog because that is what you want to do.
When you have a GSD that has been bred to the standard and is as close as you
ca come in every aspect of the Standard, that dog can do any ring that you
choose to do.

Lyn Chernak

Lyn Chernak ~ CherLyn Shepherds
AKC Breeder of Merit

http://www.cherlynshepherds.com
Three Generations ~ GSDCA 13 Club ~ Membership
   CherLyn's Dixie, BH, CDX, RAE, TC, HIC, CGC
  Ulric vom Kriegerhaus, CDX, RA, TC, HIC, CGC,OFA Excellent