[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Personal experience

  • From: "Rbuffdogs ." <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sarah Minsk <gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx>, Ken Tank <tanksr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 17:03:17 -0700

Sarah,
I have to wonder, why you sound so angry in your post?  You and I have
spoken privately, and you seem to be very intelligent,
and eager to ask questions.  So I was a bit surprised when I read the
above?
I am pretty sure we all know the breed isn't perfect.   Some of us are more
outspoken about it (stop laughing you guys)
but I don't believe anyone is oblivious to the challenges the breed has.

If you recall, You initially contacted me regarding shipping semen from
Kappo to use with your bitch that was currently in season,
or about to be....

You gave me a long list of her qualifications.  She is East European
working lines, and Kappo is
 Italian / German Show line.   Those two are not often inter-mingled,
because the results are not
really satisfactory for either pursuit.

I asked you in my response to you,  re: breeding to Kappo, why you wish to
do such a
breeding, given historically it isn't done often and for good reason?
  *I got no answer.
*

I then asked you what you had in mind for a potential litter of puppies, to
quote:
" what you are seeking in breeding your working girl to Kappo or similar
male?"
*Again, no response*.

My final question was:
"What are you looking to produce in a litter, and for what purposes in
general?   "
*I got....*crickets**

So obviously I ended any further conversation  regarding use of our male.

You see Sarah, I asked those questions to
 1) try to help you discern if Kappo or perhaps
some other male is a good fit for your female? We have no ego about it, so
if we can find a better
match for someone, given their criteria and their bitch , we will do so,
happily.

   2)  To ensure that Kappo is not going to be used only to help advertise
and sell pet puppies.

 It concerns me because no sooner did I get no further responses from you ,
that you
started inquiring about other stud dogs with other breeders?  I can tell
you for a fact,  It makes stud dog owners uneasy
when there is no plan, no rhyme or reason..just "might like to breed her".
  Just FYI Sarah, that sends up
all kinds of red flags.  As a horse breeder, you should know this.
  We all spend a tremendous
amount of time, money, energy, heartache and decades building our programs.
  Speaking only for ourselves,
I won't allow a breeding to a female, simply because the given animal has a
uterus, and  the owner has a checkbook.

  We , and I imagine other owners, don't
want our males used without thought.  It does nothing for the male, it does
nothing for the bitch, and it
sure isn't going to help the breed.

What we won't do is have a male , any male be used for advertising to sell
pet puppies.
Since you seem to have no goal, plan, or idea why you want to breed to a
given dog, I have wonder if selling
well bred pets was your goal?   Pets are great.  Most puppies will go into
pet homes ...but not for the sake
of just selling pets and not using one of our males..as I imagine most male
dog owners in the fancy, would agree.

   We breed with an idea in mind, a goal, and to hopefully improve the
breed a tiny bit along the way,
without doing any harm.   We have spent decades (if you count myself, my
Husband , his Brother, and now our son, it is over
120 years in GSDs as a family)  and  Yes Sarah, "are totally invested in
our dogs."   It is not a "fun hobby " for us, it is our passion.

Please reconsider breeding your female until you have a firm idea what
exactly you want / expect from that litter.
You may find that stud dog owners are more receptive if you come to them
with a plan or at least a definable goal.
It will save you time and a lot of heartache in your search.

Get with a breeder with a lot of experience , listen, ask, watch....watch
some more...listen harder.
then put your breeding plan together.

Also you may want to tone down the angriness...whether you agree with some
breeder / exhibitor / judges or not
you have to at the very least give them their dues, because of the DECADES
they have spent in the breed.
You might find them a good deal more receptive , if you start there.
I wish you the very best in your search, and greatest success in the breed.

Kathy

*http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com*
*Updated: June 2013*
*CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs