[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Personal experience

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx, "<Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:57:56 -0700 (PDT)

Sarah, I have seen what you mentioned below many times of

"a judge put up a dog that was timid; tucking tail; shying away from judge
contact...in all cases the dog was handled by well known handler. "

The fact is I do not know if a Judge does realize people in the ring and
outside the ring can clearly see what a Judge sees. As the
same dog interacts with people around them they clearly can see this dogs
temperament.

Yes, having shown horses also saw the fads come and go and today I see how much
the German Shepherd Dog
has changed throughout the years. People seem to interrupt the meaning of the
standard differently as it would
be interesting to see what correct shoulder angle is in pasterns "degrees as
below it starts 25 degrees angle from vertical"  as we both know
pasterns and shoulder effect movement.  Yes, you can have long pasterns and
straight shoulders to get fast movement but it is not correct with cadence.

"The head is noble, cleanly chiseled, strong without coarseness, but above all
not fine, and in proportion to the body. The head of the male is distinctly
masculine, and that of the bitch distinctly feminine."

Not fine!

"The expression keen, intelligent and composed. Eyes of medium size, almond
shaped, set a little obliquely and not protruding. "

too closely set together eyes the dog usually has shy insecure temperament if
this is the case.

"The neck is strong and muscular, clean-cut and relatively long, proportionate
in size to the head and without loose folds of skin. When the dog is at
attention or excited, the head is raised and the neck carried high; otherwise
typical carriage of the head is forward rather than up and but little higher
than the top of the shoulders, particularly in motion."

"The whole structure of the body gives an impression of depth and solidity
without bulkiness"

"The shoulder blades are long and obliquely angled, laid on flat and not placed
forward."

Not straight in appearance

"The upper thigh bone parallels the shoulder blade while the lower thigh bone
parallels the upper arm. The metatarsus (the unit between the hock joint and
the foot) is short, strong and tightly articulated"

"A German Shepherd Dog is a trotting dog, and its structure has been developed
to meet the requirements of its work."

" Both the upper arm and the shoulder blade are well muscled. The forelegs,
viewed from all sides, are straight and the bone oval rather than round. The
pasterns are strong and springy and angulated at approximately a 25-degree
angle from the vertical. "

Theresa

 Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Personal experience
"<Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Monday, September 23, 2013,

 I must, respectfully disagree! There are plenty of show ring fads!  Just look
back over the decades and you will see
 them!!

 There were plenty in my Arabian world. One time pretty heads; then saddlebred
motion; then tail flagging hotness;
 then table top toplines...I could go on and all.

 Breeders would try to breed the current fad but what they didn't realize was
that by the time they entered the ring
 with the breeding the fad had changed.

 That's why it is so important to breed to the standard and not ever emphasize
one particular trait over another....balance and moderation.

 Sarah

I have seen more than once a judge put up a dog that was timid; tucking tail;
shying away from judge contact...in all cases the dog was handled by well known
handler. Don't know enough about who is who in breeders to say if that could
have been a factor.  This stuff REALLY sours me.

Sarah