[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Perianal Fistulae

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dhnath@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:39:53 -0800 (PST)

Just so everyone will know there is now a genetice marker for PF, available in
Finland for about $91, postage included. this is  a swab test.

Morgan and His Angels
Precious, OFA
Princess, CGC, TDI, GSDCA Health Award
"So Much to Do, So Little Time"

From: "yvonne martin" <vonmartin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Perianal Fistulae
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 10:26:36 -0800

My bitch, Porsche, had begun doing a lot of licking under her rear end and
the ve found what he thought was an anal absyss.  She was treated with
antibiotics and it cleared up but came back within a couple of weeks.  She
was given another treatment of antibiotics.  It came back again.  The vet
says she thinks it's perianal fistulae and we will begin with an ointment
called tacrolimus.  She will not be given oral medications unless this
doesn't work. The surgery procedures that are done if the medications don't
work sounds hidious!
I was told that recent information suggests an immune-mediated basis and
that German Shepherds seem to be predisposed to this condition.
Approximately 80% of dogs infected are GSDs.

Food allergy seems to be a possible cause and so her diet has changed to
white fish,duck or venison with potato.  She was eating Evo kibble in the
morning mixed with meat and raw chicken at night.  She sure does miss it.
Right now she'll only eat the fish and I have to hand feed her.

If anyone can give me some first-hand information about this subject, I'd
love to hear from you.  Private is OK.

Yvonne
vonmartingsd

Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.