[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Perhaps fear is a good thing

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 06:05:20 -0700 (PDT)

I teach my kids to respect the ability of things to do damage.  Is that fear?
Maybe.  But some have inate fear that is greater than others.  I am deeply
respected for being willing to go into the homes of dogs that I do not know and
take over the pack for a few hours.  People think this is some amazing and
completely dangerous thing I do.

  Compared to Irwin, PPPLLLLLEEEEAASE.  I do nothing dangerous.  Yes, I have
been threatened by a few dogs.  Some with real intent to do me great harm.  But
I am prepared, and I make sure in these cases that that owners are aware that
if I am in danger, so are they.

  His kids will grow up to respect the power and ability to kill that gators
and crocs have, but they will not fear them as I do.  I need fences between me
and such animals.  I don't need fences between me and Most dogs.

  I doubt my kids will be dog trainers as I am.  They will never face down a
dominant and agressive Akita, Pit Bull, or Doberman, as I have.  Nor will a
German Pincher ever panic and grab a piece of they arm.  (The dog's history was
horrible).

  But unlike my neice and nephew who are terrified of most all dogs, they will
be comfortable with most all dogs.

  It is all relative, it is what we are used to.  It is what we are exposed to.

  This is the same line that can be applied to what we eat, how we treat
animals, the quality of our lives, compared to almost any where else in the
world.  IT IS RELATIVE.

  So let's all keep a little perspective here!

  My only big complaint, was that the boy was too young to be held in the
manner Steve Irwin held him, not good for the head and neck.  But the boy seems
fine now, 2 years later, so my concern is moot too!!!
  sheila
ELG440@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 9/5/2006 1:48:21 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I saw no wrong in him "socializing" his son with the croc!!!!!

I did wonder, however, if perhaps a fear of some things might not be a good
thing. It seems to me that crocs might be a wise thing to fear.

If I had any kids, (shut up Paul), I might want to teach them to be afraid
of some things.

The things that come to mind are, snakes, alligators, black widow spiders,
broken glass, open flames, poison, a stick in the eye, disco, running with
scissors, large predator cats, smoking, Nehru jackets, and professional dog
handlers.

Just my weird thinking, I guess.

Evan
_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament come together

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training