[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Performance and HD

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSDCA Showlist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 12:50:05 -0700

I bred a bitch back in 1992 that was my pick. I showed her a lot in
conformation & obed., & was titled in both. To my dismay, she did pass her
OFA elbows but got a grade Mild on both hips. I was told to not spay her
right away & X-ray her in six months or so to see if you get a different
grade. At that time I was so heartbroken over the Mild grade & did spay her
around three. I did a lot with this bitch through her life. At age ten I
started her in agility. She surpassed all the younger dogs she worked with.
She was amazing to her gorgeous gait. I continued to show her in breed at
age thirteen & fourteen & won over many younger shepherds. She never limped
a day in her life because of the Mild score. I was told to keep her busy &
in condition to keep her moving. Arthritis can be another issue. Now with
worse grades than Mild might make a bit difference in how large, weight,
etc. I also knew a GSD that got a sever grade & was biked to keep his
muscles in shape around his joints. He went for a long time until it didn't
work for him anymore. So each dog can be very different if they don't pass
OFA/OVC.

Kathy Partch
www.JoKaySedona.com