[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Performance & Confirmation

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:39:48 -0500 (EST)

Apples and oranges Cathy.  The Board has moved to allow a dog with ANY  DQ
to receive a performance award at our national. We aren't talking  about AKC
awards, we're talking about PC awards.

It is a sad day when the PC, which is supposed to be promoting excellence,
allows top honors to be awarded to a dog w/ a DQ.

Let me be clear; either accept the whites for everything or let them go
entirely.  I don't see why they should be in limbo.

Also let me be clear; a dog can be a mixed breed and be a wonderful  dog.
We've probably all had them.

A GSD can have a DQ and be an absolutely lovely dog.  That doesn't  mean
they are a good GSD.  They deserve a long and happy life.  They  don't deserve
to be honored by the PC.

As for your Reno grandson, a coat is not a DQ.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 2/8/2012 1:58:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi  All;
Allow dogs who are shown in Obedience be eligible for the GV award  even if
they have faults is should be totally acceptable. Dogs in performance  are
shown for their ability to learn and perform specific exercises, not based
on the confirmation standard, it is not a beauty contest. Performance folks
put a lot of time and energy training their dogs, so why should they not be
 eligible.

I began my love of the sport with an ILP GSD in the late  70's, if any of
you know who Flora Beckemeyer was, Sheba could have been her  daughter. She
would have never received a breed ribbon, but she was smart and  a super
worker.

Since dogs and bitches that are altered are eligible  for this award, why
not any other GSD?

If you want to compete in  confirmation, you want a dog that is as close to
the standard as possible. If  you are competing in performance, you want
good hips, elbows, temperament and  brains, you are not looking at the beauty
part.

I have to be honest, I  do not know of any other breed that would
disqualify dogs from performance  awards due to breed standard
disqualifcations.

By the way, my second  Obedience dog, before I became involved in
confirmation  was a Reno  grandson, who had his breed ribbon, so if I showed
him at
the National he  would have qualified for the Obedience GV and guess what he
was coated. He was  double coated and got his ribbon at a small AB  show.

Cathy
Kelstar

fmurch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
EarthLink  Revolves Around  You.

POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.