[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Perception / long

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx, RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx, silvermoongsds@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:56:57 -0400

Kathy,
It sounds like you have an awesome club.? Much like the Golden Club here in
SoCal.? But, that is NOT the norm.?

I am in no way pointing fingers for not winning.? I have been?learning and
working on getting better dogs.? I have had some moderate success, as I said,
and I learn with each dog.? I am willing to do my time and pay my dues.? No, I
will not look for?a puppy.??Yes, I?WILL take other's advice, if I feel I can
trust them.? Do I know a Great dog, myself.? Maybe not.??But, I know what I
like.? But trusting GSD people?to tell me what is the best dog?as opposed as
what will bring numbers in the ring for a major?? That is a different story.?

But let me throw this out there.? As someone who shows?GSD's and?some people
know personally, I still get ignored and dismissed when I want to talk to a
breeder or handler.? I am a polite person and will not interrupt a conversation
in progress.? I do not try to engage in a conversation when one has a dog in
the ring.??But, when I am waiting?patiently to talk to one of these folks,
after showing, and don't even get?acknowledged that I even exist or they see me
and just walk?away without giving me the time of day.? How would you feel??

If this is how the Breed people?treat people already trying to become part of
the Breed, what does that say for the newbie??

Again, I am talking about perception.? If JQP is faced with?being shut out when
they want to talk to someone about the breed, why would they pursue show
lines?? I can tell you for a fact that the German breeders do not do this.?
They will Talk til they are blue in the face to convince people that their
lines are the best.? And, JQP sees these dogs as what they know of the GSD.?
So, they buy them.

You say?you are tired of the No education issue.? Well, obviously whatever the
show line people are doing is not working.??Entries are declining, people are
bailing out for other breeds and performance events.? Maybe your club and a
couple others are really working with GSD?people in you area.? But how many can
say the same???

I love this breed, no doubt about that.? But, I also know that I will spend my
money elsewhere.? My dogs all do something other than conformation.? I can be
very happy doing performance events with them.? I am not?anyone in the breed so
I don't expect breeders knocking on my door to let me have an awesome dog.? I
didn't get lucky to have my first show GSD be a Star.??But, I have been around
for awhile and anyone who knows me, knows that I want to show and win.??

Just some thoughts and experiences folks.? And, thus the reason I am thinking
switching breeds fopr conformation.? LACK OF SUPPORT!

Laura Thomas???

?????