[ SHOWGSD-L ] Perception is reality

  • From: "Cyndy Davis" <cyndyinseattle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 22:45:04 -0700

Those who show dogs who chronically lose find the word "crooked" creeping into
their vocabulary early in their career. More than likely the breeder who sold
them this dog has trained them to believe that their dog is superb, and any
loss is definitely the judge's fault. Frankly, that's the coward's way out.

It is not until you have good dogs that you are qualified to witness "crooked".
 And then when you do have good dogs, your friends who used to gather 'round
commisserating over the corruption don't speak to you anymore. :)

I witnessed it once or twice.

Before the show, one of the exhibitors (a judge) walked up to THE judge and
told him point blank her dog needed to win, and to go Best of Winners to get
the major to finish his championship.

THE judge winked at the exhibitor. I know this because I was standing there
with the two of them. I suppose at the time they did not think I knew enough to
know what was going on.

So what happened? The dog went Best of Winners over what went on to be a Select
bitch, and beat a future Select male as well. The dog who won was never to be
heard from again.

Whether there was intentional corruption or this dog was actually the best dog
in the judge's eyes...who knows?
But was there a perception of corruption??? Damn straight! This is how rumors
get started.

The second time the judge put up a huge nine year old brood bitch. I know of
six litters this bitch had whelped, there could be more. Her teats were sagging
halfway to the ground, her pasterns were broken down, and she was so
overweight!!! And she won a major from the Bred By class, and went BOW over a
very nice male. Now tell me how that happens when you have twenty something
other bitches there?  Did I mention the judge owned one of her daughters? :)

So, judges, the lesson is that perception is reality...please be cognizant of
what you say and do.

Cyndy

Add photos, news, and blogs about the World Cup to your Live.com homepage!
http://www.live.com/getstarted