[ SHOWGSD-L ] Perception, Hidden agenda

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:30:50 -0700 (PDT)

Ignored,alienated, and
> ostracized ? That describes the way a majority of the world population
> feels.That's why so many psychiatrists,counselors,and ministers make a
> handsome living.> tom elkins

Well said Tom.... Although I don't remember the 'handsome living' part! <G>

So, here are my suggestion for being a more user friendly group.....

1. When your dog is in the ring and you are doubling and someone comes up
to  talk to you, stop what you are doing (doubling), turn to face the
person and listen, then respond with a smile and encouraging words. If
your dog stops at the corner to see what you are talking about, tell your
handler to wait for just a few minutes while you conclude your
conversation.

2. While grooming for the next class, similarly, be sure to engage in
conversation freely and should it go on beyond the start of your class,
ask the judge to wait while you conclude what you are doing.

3. Should your dog be in front of another dog and the owner of the other
dog looks disappointed, be sure to ask the judge to move your dog back so
the other exhibitor will feel good about entering and will come back.

4. And judges - this is your problem too. You have to stop picking the
dogs of the more successful breeders who have learned what they are doing
by years of tough trial and error. Pick enough dogs that are not star
quality so we make others feel included.

And I could go on.... but the point is, this is a highly competative sport
and no one enters hoping to loose. When the show begins, the exhibitors
focus hones in on their dog, as it should and they may not even hear what
is being said to them.

I tried talking to my grandson when he was going out for a pass in the
championship football game! Forget it!

There are two sides to this equasion - Our being legitimately friendly and
receptive (which I believe most are) and the new person being sensative to
the nature of the game and the focus of the competition.

I love you man, but you can't have my beer (substitute ribbon!).
Dave