[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Perception

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SallyHH31@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:32:45 -0700

Laura
While I can understand your frustration, please refrain from collectively
damning everyone that may read this post.  I think we all know that we have
work to do on improving perceptions of the breed in the show ring.  However
, we are not alone in that.  Many other breeds are worse.   Doesn't excuse
it, but it is true.
If you are really thinking about switching breeds than you are part of the
problem, not the solution.  You can't say we need new people and then bale.
While your Terv person may have had shepherds for twenty years (so do a lot
of pet owners) he doesn't support the breed, he/she switched to
Tervs....how did  that help GSDs?
You cannot effect change by quitting.

Please Laura do not lump everyone into a collective "shame on the rest of
you" because truth be told you don't know what many breeders, and handlers
and judges may be doing FOR our breed, FOR newcomers, quietly, behind the
scenes.

Simply "having" GSDs doesn't mean much, sticking with it, keeping your
(collectively) membership, attending shows to exhibit when possible, to
SUPPORT GOOD JUDGING IN AB AND SPECIALTY RINGS, to help newcomers,whether
the breed is at it's peak or when it is having some difficulties THAT is
helping the breed.  Leaving solves nothing. Helps no one.

Again TOTALLY understand your feelings, we all get frustrated with various
aspects of showing/ breeding, etc.  But when a person (collectively speaking
here, not directly)  decides to quit, after bad mouthing what many of us
work so hard to support, it sounds like sour grapes and  it shows me
nothing.

Kathy Tank

--
http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com