[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Perception

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:03:52 EDT

In a message dated 8/17/2007 11:52:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Yesterday , Ken and I were showing one of our puppies, a coat, to a  very
nice lady.  She has extensive experience in about
every phase  of dogdom, from SAR to obedience, law enforcement, you name
it. She seemed  to have an xint eye for structure, and definently knew what
she  liked.
She has often admired some of the American show dogs ,  although not the
"over angulated ones" (her words) as well as some of the  German dogs "but
not the ones with the rounded backs" again, her  words.

******************************

Kathy here.  I agree.  I don't care for overangulated dogs  either, and I do
like some German dogs but hate one w/ a roach.   Fortunately, the numbers of
both seem to be decreasing.

******************************

She said she had a couple of real "oldsters" and she was  thinking about
bringing a puppy home in the next year.
She expressed and  interest in the conformation ring but said......" I know
that the  conformation/ show ring is SO POLITICAL , that
a newcomer doesn't stand a  chance.  That is what has stopped me from
pursuing it..."  (her  words)

It hit me like a bolt , and I felt physically sick from  it.  IS THIS THE
REPUTATION AND THE IMAGE WE HAVE BUILT FOR OUR BREED,  OUR SPORT???????    IF
THIS IS THE PERCEPTION OF A LEARNED  DOG-PERSON, THEN WHAT MUST
JOE AVERAGE NEWCOMER THINK??

******************************
Me again.  Of course that's the perception, I hear it all the  time.  I heard
it at a barbeque recently where a fellow had gotten into  labs, and got out
after throwing a bunch of money away and ending up with two  dogs w/ issues, so
it's certainly not just "us".

There's a lot of truth to the perception....BUT...there are those who don't
bother to get involved, or get out after being stung, then there's "us" who
keep  forging ahead.

Nauseating guys, I have to tell you.   It spoke  VOLUMES.

Kathy Tank

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds