[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: People aggressive vs. Dog aggressive

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSDCA Showlist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 16:49:22 -0700

So far in the 47 years I've had GSDs thank heavens I've never had dogs
aggressive towards people. BUT I've had a GSD that was terribly aggressive
towards other dogs. WHY! I truly feel it was just in the breeding when I
look back. I socialized him right from a puppy, fun shows, trials & every
thing I could think of & he passed his CGC with flying colors. But he would
attack other dogs when he got a chance. The strange part about this dog when
showing him was trained to be a perfect gentleman around other dogs. He
learned when working there was so fighting. He was totally focused on his
handler at a show. But for some reason, or many when he had the chance he
would attack another dog. And it wasn't little squabbles -- he went in to
kill! He loved kitties, chickens & other animals but not his own kind. I
finally found him another home after he was about six which was extremely
difficult to do after breeding, raising & showing him all of those years.
But I had to do something because he fought with the rest of my shepherds. I
had two other trainers tell me to put him down. He was dangerous to live
with they said. In his new home that wasn't that far from me he had close
encounters as well with other dogs (long story). Nothing too serious
happened afterwards but always something on the back of your mind to live
with. We got through it & he lived to be 12.5. Would I put another dog like
that down if it happened again? Probably because he hurt my other dogs & I
got bit really bad once trying to break up a fight! [sigh] I'm so blessed at
this time to have GSs that love other dogs. Now I just have to watch out for
them being attacked by other aggressive dogs.

Kathy Partch
www.JoKaySedona.com