[ SHOWGSD-L ] Penny's wisdom:)

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:23:21 EST

In a message dated 2/1/2006 5:20:11 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
All I  know is that it sure is difficult to place puppies:  the agenda is
mind-boggling--always trying to choose the best homes.  I'm sure we've  all
made
mistakes.

I sure do agree w/ Penny on this!  I got off the phone w/ a man the  other
day who had lost his 13 year old bitch.  In his quest to find a puppy  to fill
the emptiness, he had called several people; some I knew and some I  didn't.
He managed to get tangled in the show v working discussion and  really would
have been happy (DELIGHTED!)to find a backyard breeder after what  some of the
"show-hobby" breeders (both German and American) had stipulated re  the
purchase of their dogs. He remarked "we were all a little bit  eccentric".  And
he's
right, I thought.  In fact, his choice of words  seemed rather kind:)

My day starts and ends on the dogs' schedules.  I know I'm far from  alone in
this, but to someone not quite so involved in "our" world, I can  imagine it
all seems pretty strange.  It's no wonder then, when something  goes wrong re
a dog we've placed (illness, a new baby, an aging parent, divorce,
relocation, bankruptcy), and the "perfect" home is no longer a forever home,
that on
occasion people make mistakes re their dog.  Can I tell you how  many times
someone has called with a situation that isn't working out, and when  I ask
them
if they've called their breeder they are puzzled by the question? I'm  certain
SOME of those breeders have that provision in their original paperwork,  but
because of whatever else is going on in their lives, (and often, it's  no small
obstacle), folks forget.  Then, there are the people who just out  and out
fool you, who have all the perfect responses memorized.

BTW, I'm not sure if I'll have something for the man mentioned above, (HOPE
so!), but I have to tell you, when someone calls with a lump in their throat
after loosing a 13 year old, my questions stop right there:)  No  stipulations
and weird contracts, demands, or provisions, lol, just my normal  puppy
packet, routine immunization, worming and health records and the  directions
"take
her home and love her", "send lots of pictures" and "don't  hesitate to call
me if you EVER need anything."

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_