[ SHOWGSD-L ] Pay it forward...

  • From: pruett@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:11:43 +0000

I posted a couple a days ago about adopting a junior - but what I did not say
was that I was "adopted" as a junior when I was a 6th grader by Reynold and
Elinor Tinnetti, who, at that time (mid 60's) were a retired couple in
Franklin, Virgina.  They were former cocker breeders who had given up on
conformation showing and switched to obedience & tracking competition with
German Shepherds.  They taught the local dog obedience classes and I attended
them with my oversized sheltie.  My family knew nothing about the world of
pure-bred dogs, but I was drawn to it - read all the books, etc.  I had no way
of getting to matches and shows, so the Tinnetti's invited me along,
transporting me, sharing motel rooms with me, and lending me their support and
expertise as I put a CD and CDX on my sheltie (who I so creatively named
Pruett's Highland Laddie - what can I say - I was just a kid...)

The Ren-El shepherds were top performance dogs, often HIT, and I admired them so
much.  My family moved from Virginia to Massachussetts when I was a freshman in
high school and I eventually lost touch with the Tinnetti's, but I've never
forgotten the help they gave me in the world of pure bred dogs.  When I
graduated from college with a degree in animal science, my parents gave me a
dog as a graduation present.  As soon as I was in a position to care for a dog,
I went out and bought a German Shepherd from Wynn Strickland - and that was the
beginning of Windy Acres.

So, when the opportunity came along to support another young person's interest
in pure bred dogs, I didn't hesitate to "adopt" Ariel.  It was my way of saying
"thanks" to the Tinnetti's for everything they did for me so many years ago.

Would the person who posted about a junior needing a room at the national please
contact me?  There are several of us traveling from Maine and I think we could
probably fit her into one of our rooms on an Aero bed if she's unable to find a
junior to room with.

Laurie Pruett