[ SHOWGSD-L ] Paul Newman, a couple stories about him

  • From: "Diane Roberts" <dianeroberts.gsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:05:26 -0400

We knew Paul and Joann personally from years of auto racing.

For many years we (the whole family) were involved in auto racing while
living in CT.  My husband & I were licensed Flagging and Communications (the
idiots in white standing on the race track waving the flags with headsets
on) for SCCA; I was also SCCA licensed for Pit and Grid and was Chief of
Technical Inspection for 3 years for the New England Region of SCCA and
worked for IMSA as a Tech Inspector.

My 2 favorite stories of Paul were from Lime Rock Race Track in CT.

The July 4th weekend was also our daughter's birthday and she was National
Licensed Timing and Scoring.  After Paul's race he went up to the timing
booth to get his individual lap times and they had decorated the timing area
with Happy Birthday and had a cake for her.  She had timed Paul's car that
day so he come over to her to get a copy of his race chart.  He told her boy
that cake looked good and she gave him a bite of her cake and he told her he
would buy her a beer she laughed and told him she was only 15 so he wrote
her an IOU for a drink when she was legal on her Birthday napkin.  She is in
her mid 30's now but still has that Birthday napkin. I think it was a week
before she washed her face as he also gave her a Birthday kiss.

The other was having my lunch made by him in the Sharp-Newman motor home on
a private practice day at the track.  As Chief I had to be there to inspect
any car before they could go out on private practice days.  I drove over to
start at 7am and had been on the track all day.  It was about 2 in the
afternoon and Paul walked out and ask me if I had eaten.  Told him not yet,
an official had to be on the track when a car was out and I was it for the
day.  When the last car was off the track about 3:30 Paul came over and ask
me to stop by the motor home when I finished my paperwork.  When I went in
he fixed me a sandwich, made up some salad and offered me a beer (I don't
drink) so he found me a soda.  We sat and talked for about 1/2 hour while I
ate.  We talked about out kids, racing, spouses (mine was out to sea at the
time on a submarine) and life in general.

To the workers at the races he was just one of the drives and would join the
workers/drivers at night for barbeques, bon fires, swimming in the creek,
relaxing or riding his bicycle around.

Several times a year he had his Chef's and workers feed all the workers
after racing was done for the day.  We tested lots of sauces, dressings and
of course we always had Popcorn when he was at the track. JoAnn was almost
always at the races with him and she also was just one of the gang after the
spectators went home or in the worker/driver area that was closed to
spectators.

To make it dog related I always had a couple of our GSD's with me at the
track and I had a sign that said complaint department with an down arrow and
the crates sat there with the dogs in the shade with fans on them.  I never
got many complaints.

Diane Roberts
Majestic German Shepherds (puppies available)
Tampa Bay GSD Rescue, Inc  www.tampabaygsdrescue.org
American German Shepherd Rescue Assoc, Inc  www.agsra.com
Riverview, FL 33569             813-671-2913