[ SHOWGSD-L ] Pancreatic Insufficiency

  • From: wendygsd@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:12:25 +0000

There is another list for pancreatic insufficiency.  It is
K9-Epiglobal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Like this list, you need to apply for
membership, but it has a wealth of information regarding the disease and it is
where I learned that you can use Pancreatin, which is a generic version of
Viokase, for a much lesser cost.  They also explain about how prone EPI dogs
are to SIBO (small intenstinal bacterial overgrowth) and how to treat it.
(Many vets don't treat long enough, and this can be the cause for continued
loose stools)   I have also been ordering mine by the kilo from
epi-enzymes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, which is a part of the above list and they
straightened my boy out immediately.  These enzymes are manufactured by
American Labs and the breakdown on them is as follows:
                      Pancreatin 6X        Pancreatin 8X    --   compared to
Viokase
Lipase            93,240 usp             145,880  usp
      71,400
Protease       456,400  "                582,400   "
       388,000
Amylase       518,000  "                638,400    "
      460,000
You can also order directly from American Labs (800-445-5989), but I believe
you have to order 5 kilos at a time, however, that makes it really economical
per kilo, but is a lot of $$ up front.  I also have just bought Pancreatin 8x
in capsule form from Vitacost.com.  It has 36,000 usp of Lipase and 200,000
usps of both Protease & Amylase.  I have not tried it as yet, but it is
$8.92/bottle of 100 caps, and I figure I should be able to get by on 3 per
meal.  If you need more info, feel free to contact me.

Wendy Luba
Cheeryo GSDs, Antrim, NH