[ SHOWGSD-L ] Palm Beach's Volunteer Pet Patrol

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:04:14 -0500

shared by Peggy

 Cross post far and wide!

 The following post appeared on We the People list today:

 I have been chatting on one of my breed group lists about these
legislative  nightmares and just had some scary feedback from Palm Beach FL.

 Palm Beach county is now hiring deputized volunteers. They call the
volunteers s the Citizens Pet Patrol. These volunteers will act as
puppy  buyers, call on ads, call clubs for referrals, roam the
neighborhoods, and yes, even dog shows. If they find anything they "THINK"
might be
wrong or  against their agenda, they will run to get a warrant to enter your
home. The  hobby breeders who have a permit from the county have already
given
implied  consent to these people to enter their homes by signing the permit.

 Here is some language directly off the volunteer application:

 *You must have a car and be able to volunteer 4 hours a day two days
a week.

 *Responsibilities involve setting up educational booths at pet supply
 stores, special events in the county (dog shows, perhaps?) and
schools.

 Additional roles include patrolling known problem areas for non-
compliant  issues and report findings to AC.

 The volunteers are said to be mostly AR's who apparently have
nothing better  to do.

 My breeder friends are terrified and feel they can no longer allow
potential  puppy buyers to come to their homes to visit the puppies.