[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Palatable and Nourishing Foods

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:03:32 +0000

We also had a choice of good old Purina Dog Chow which was available at the
feed store along with Horse Chow, Pig Chow, and Goat Chow [original thinkers,
no?? LOL].     As soon as I got 'into' dogs my mentor had me change to
Kennel-Biskit.  I've laughted several times lately now that I feed Pro Plan [a
Purina product] and said that, 25 years ago if someone accused me of feeding
Purina I would have probably hit them.  It was not known for quality in the
'dog world' until Pro Plan came along.  When we couldn't get Kennel-Biskit we
switched to a product called Show Results - a fish based food out of Michigan.
Since I'm from a farming background, when we couldn't get Show Results any more
I tried a Carnation [lnown for horse nad cattle feed] product.  Started late in
the year after my guys were in full coat [Novemner or December].  five/six
months later I bathed my boy and threw him in the truck for a trip to NC and
the SE Futurity [1988/89].  When I strated grooming him for the
  class
 and his undercoat started coming out, my black and red male was GREY and
WHITE.  Lets just say he didn't look his best.
When folks talk about food now I can definitely tell you from practical
experience that our choice of food can, and does, inhance color.  I started on
Pro Plan as soon as I got home an an interum 'fix' until I could find a
'better' food LOL  I STILL feed Pro Plan.  And as Ralph and Mary always used to
say..... "Records Live.  Opinions Die."

Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of BIS/BISS Ch Yancy HIC HT PT RA CD TC CGC BH, Helios SchH3, Ch Flair,
Tess [150 PLUS ROM points/40 ATAA points], Lil' Miss Gilli RN[Mjr Res Winner]
and all the others waiting at the bridge. Website updated 06/07