[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Palatable and Nourishing Foods

  • From: "Beryl" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <PeterCacioppo@xxxxxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:16:58 -0700

In the early 60's Ken-L-Biskit was one of only a handful of dog foods
available to the fancy, other than those more or less generic brands that
were primarily available in the grocery stores.
Kasco, Wayne (Allied Mills) and Science Diet were popular on the west coast.
My husband and his business partner had a distributorship for both Science
Diet and Wayne. We used Kasco prior to getting into distributing.
I know that Science Diet is still around, but I haven't seen or heard of
Wayne or Kasco on the west coast (N. California) in probably the past 20-25
years or so.
I think for the most part we tend to make changes according to the latest
trend/fad etc. And we have also
 learned more about canine nutrition in recent years.
I agree with Peter, about baked kibble. It was thought at the time, that
baked was better, because it wouldn't swell if water was added, whereas
expanded kibble mixes did. The thought at the time was kibble that swelled
when moisture was added, could bring on the possibility of bloat.
We do tend to go through food fads. Thirty years ago, one was not very
likely to even consider giving a raw chicken neck to a dog, or for that
matter probably not anything raw.
The BIG question is, did we have less bloat, torsion, allergies to food
etc.,then? Or did we just not hear about it because we didn't have access to
info like we presently have ?
My feeding program is partly "old". I still add some oatmeal every morning
as I learned from Connie Beckhardt. Some things have changed over the years,
some things are tried and true and worth keeping in your food plan.

Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, CA