[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Palatable and Nourishing Foods

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windvane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:14:35 -0700 (PDT)

Being raised on a ranch many moons ago I can tell you that the dogs were fed
what ever there was to feed. They never had shots of any kind and if one was
too sick  to work it was shot.

  Yes our dogs are wolf ancestors. If you have ever watched a wolf, or a wild
dog for that matter, wean their pups this is how it is done. The kill prey eat
it and hold in their guts until it is partly digested. When they return to
their pups they regurgitate the food so the pups can eat. The food has been
processed my good ole moms gut.  It is also fresh kill. Not meat that is no
long fit for human consumption.

  I love my pups but I am not willing to do that so that they can eat raw.  I
buy good fresh kibble and I never by in quanity. I want it as fresh as I can
get it.

  Terry who is proud to be a kibble feeder.

Emilie <windvane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  The ranchers here just get a bag of hog grower and slice it open in the barn
for the ranch dogs , they get table scraps with it and hoof trim for their
teeth to chew on and they look great. so what are we doing wrong?
Emilie
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:03 PM
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Palatable and Nourishing Foods

We also had a choice of good old Purina Dog Chow which was available at the
feed store along with Horse Chow, Pig Chow, and Goat Chow [original
thinkers, no?? LOL]. As soon as I got 'into' dogs my mentor had me
change to Kennel-Biskit. I've laughted several times lately now that I feed
Pro Plan [a Purina product] and said that, 25 years ago if someone accused
me of feeding Purina I would have probably hit them. It was not known for
quality in the 'dog world' until Pro Plan came along. When we couldn't get
Kennel-Biskit we switched to a product called Show Results - a fish based
food out of Michigan. Since I'm from a farming background, when we couldn't
get Show Results any more I tried a Carnation [lnown for horse nad cattle
feed] product. Started late in the year after my guys were in full coat
[Novemner or December]. five/six months later I bathed my boy and threw him
in the truck for a trip to NC and the SE Futurity [1988/89]. When I strated
grooming him for the
class
and his undercoat started coming out, my black and red male was GREY and
WHITE. Lets just say he didn't look his best.
When folks talk about food now I can definitely tell you from practical
experience that our choice of food can, and does, inhance color. I started
on Pro Plan as soon as I got home an an interum 'fix' until I could find a
'better' food LOL I STILL feed Pro Plan. And as Ralph and Mary always used
to say..... "Records Live. Opinions Die."

Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of BIS/BISS Ch Yancy HIC HT PT RA CD TC CGC BH, Helios SchH3, Ch Flair,
Tess [150 PLUS ROM points/40 ATAA points], Lil' Miss Gilli RN[Mjr Res
Winner] and all the others waiting at the bridge. Website updated 06/07

7:02 PM

FareChase.