[ SHOWGSD-L ] Palatable and Nourishing Foods

  • From: "Peter Cacioppo" <PeterCacioppo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:29:49 -0700

Here are some historical spelling of the product that has been mentioned a
few times in the last week:
In 1955 it was called: KEN-L-BISKIT (I got this from an old ad poster for
sale I found on Google). Also, I think it was made by a company called: From
another old ad for sale: This ad features a dog with his paws in a pair of
men's shoes showing that eating KEN-L-RATION DOG FOOD puts this dog in a
world as great as ours. This was a canned dog food in the ad.  Ken-L-Ration
Dog Food is America's largest selling dog food. Ken-L-Ration Dog Food is
pure, wholesome and completely nourishing, according to the ad!
From another source on the web:
In 1946 the First Ken-L Ration Annual Bench Show was created. The Quaker
Oats Company, makers of Ken-L Ration Professional Biskit at that time,
created the Show Dogs of the Year Awards in 1954 and always held it in New
York City.
When Ken-L Biskit was discontinued, Heinz Specialty Pet Products continued
the sponsorship of these important awards in 1995. In 2000, Nature's Recipe
Pet Foods hosted the Show Dogs of the Year Awards and moved to the Southgate
Towers & Hotel to be closer to Madison Square Garden where the Westminster
Kennel Club Dog Show is held. Since 2002, the Awards have been hosted by
Dogs in Review and presented by Nature's Recipe.  The Awards are always held
on the Saturday before the opening of the dog show, usually the second
Saturday in February.

Anyway, I think the reason KEN-L-BISKIT  is remembered so well is that we
had very few choices then and also perhaps because it was "baked" as opposed
to "steamed" as are many kibbles today???? I say that because there are some
dog foods out there now that claim to be more palatable and better because
they are baked instead of steamed.

Also, it I think that some dogs just like to eat different foods than other
dogs, so a lot of palatable comments can be anecdotal, or not consistent
over say a large population of dogs.  Or does someone know of a Good food
that all dogs will eat, that can be bought and stored easily?

Peter Cacioppo, Moraga, CA
www.members.tripod.com/EagleGSD
Eagle Hill Vineyards and Winery, German Shepherds and Belted Galloway cattle